Sunday 31 August 2014

Xiaomi Redmi Note - Part 2

Despite my fondness of my new Xiaomi Redmi Note phone, there are still some deficiencies which I will highlight in this second post.

Slow Order Processing

I made my order for the phone on 2014-08-05 (Tuesday). The phone was delivered on 2014-08-14 (Thursday), a whopping 9 days later! This is just too slow!

In most of my internet purchases, goods that are shipped via air are typically delivered within 1 week. As Xiaomi does not have brick and mortar stores, they really need to invest more in their logistics operation. They should take a leaf from Amazon operations, which can typically ship goods much faster than Xiaomi, despite the fact that Amazon ships from USA, while Xiaomi is shipping from Hong Kong.

Flip Case Was Not What I Expected

When I made my order for the Redmi Note, I also ordered both a soft case as well as a flip case. While the soft case meets my expectation, I was extremely disappointed with the flip case.

The main problem with the flip case is that unlike other flip cases that I have bought for my first Samsung Galaxy S and my Shanzhai phone, the Redmi Note flip case uses ADHESIVE to adhere the phone to the case!

The problem is that if you want to change the battery, or insert a different microSD card, you must then peel the phone from the flip case adhesive! According to the pamphlet that came with the flip case packaging, the ADHESIVE can be re-used 300 times. But I don't buy this bullshit. Almost every kind of glue hardens and lose their stickiness after a while, particularly in the hot and humid weather we have in Singapore. Also, the main idea with having interchangeable cases is to change them. Suppose I want to switch from my flip case back to my soft case. Once I peel my phone from the flip case, the flip case adhesive will be unprotected and exposed to the air. Exposure to air will cause the adhesive to lose its stickiness even faster. This adhesive design makes the flip case unsuitable for interchangeable use.

Unfortunately, because all the flip cases I have used previously do not use adhesive, I was under the impression that the Redmi Note flip case would be the same. So I was very disappointed on receiving the package to learn that Xiaomi has decided to cut corners and use this kind of sub-standard design for their flip case.

I subsequently went to the Xiaomi web site, and saw that although they made no mention that the Redmi Note flip case uses this cheap and lousy adhesive bonding, the flip case for the Mi 3 uses the same cheap and lousy adhesive bonding, and which is documented in the Xiaomi web site.



If you are considering buying the Redmi Note, take my advice and just buy the soft case. Don't waste your money on the flip case. It is a very disappointing piece of accessory from Xiaomi.

Non-Standard Micro USB Connector

I wasn't aware of it at first, because my existing micro USB cables which I was using for charging my Samsung Galaxy S phone, Samsung Galaxy Note tablet, and the Shanzhai phone, could also be used to charge the Redmi Note. Until one day when I realised that although the cable was "connected", it was not charging the Redmi Note. Apparently, I had touched the cable just a smidgen, and that effectively dislodge the seating of the micro USB connector.

I then became aware that the micro-USB connector always appear to be "loose" when plugged into the Redmi Note, unlike the very snug fit with all my other Android devices. When I examined the Redmi Note phone, I realised that the socket is actually a rectangle instead of trapezium shape as on all my other smart phones.

It turns out that whereas almost every Android phone uses the Micro B USB connector, the Redmi Note actually houses a USB socket that supports both the Micro B USB as well as the Micro A USB connector.


The Micro B USB connector used by almost every Android phone manufacturer.


The Micro A USB connector, which can also used for the Redmi Note.

Because the Redmi Note socket has to accommodate both types of connectors, the side effect is that it actually makes using the Micro B USB cable a looser fit! Unfortunately, the cable that Xiaomi provides is also an industry standard Micro B USB cable. This makes me wonder why in the world did Xiaomi decide to use a Micro A+B USB socket on the phone in the first place?

Bug

Although the MIUI is at version 5 (the phone is currently running version MIUI-JHDMIBF29.0), I have encountered a bug that require the phone to be shutdown and restarted.

I have a 2G SIM card which I used for making voice calls, and a 3G SIM card which I use for mobile data. The 3G SIM card is provided with a monthly allotment of 1 GB of free mobile data, so I only wish to use it for internet surfing. However, the 3G card can also make voice calls and send SMS, but these are not free. Unfortunately, if I leave the 3G card in standby mode, I keep receiving spam SMSes, and also spam voice calls, which are chargeable. Thus, to avoid paying for these spam voice calls on the 3G SIM card, I always disable the 3G SIM card if I do not need to use the 3G card to access the internet.

Thus, if I need to use the 3G  SIM card to access the internet, I will first enable the 3G SIM card, then enable mobile data. When I have finished surfing the internet, I will disable mobile data, and then disable the 3G SIM card.

However, many a time, when I disable the 3G SIM card, I will also effectively cut out the 2G signal, as if I had also disabled the 2G SIM card. The phone will then not be able to receive SMSes and voice calls on the 2G SIM card. I tried to "re-enable" the 2G SIM card, but the phone will show that the 2G SIM card has not been disabled. But there is nothing I can do to re-enable the 2G network through the Settings app. The only way to restore the 2G signal is to reboot the phone.

Because I normally use wi-fi to access the internet, this is not so problematic. But the 3 times I had to enable the 3G SIM card to access the internet using mobile data, I ended up having to reboot the phone so that I can restore the 2G voice service after I disabled just the 3G SIM card.

I don't have this problem with the Shanzhai phone, where I can always disable the 3G SIM card without affecting the voice network on the 2G SIM card. This problem only occurs with the Redmi Note.

Perhaps the new MIUI version 6 will resolve this problem. However, I don't know whether the Redmi Note will be getting MIUI 6, although by all indications, it will be available. This is one good thing about Xiaomi. Customers are constantly receiving new versions of the MIUI software. This is unlike Asus or Samsung, who do not provide firmware updates even to relatively new devices.

9 comments:

Sasidhar K said...

Thanks for the information. I am planning to purchase this phone and have a fundamental question.

Does this phone work with 3G GSM SIM card? I would like to use 3G data and phone calls etc with the same SIM card.

I saw on the site that it requires a CDMA 3G Sim, 2G GSM Sim. Is this really true?

NJ Wong said...

Hi Sasidhar, thanks for reading my post.

The version of the Redmi Note (Dual SIM) produced for Singapore is different from that for China or India. If you obtain your Redmi Note from Xiaomi's official India site, I believe the phone should be compatible with India telecoms networks, and you should be able to use access voice, SMS, and data from your single 3G card.

Singapore doesn't use CDMA, but WCDMA for its 3G networks (see this link on the difference between CDMA and WCDMA:

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-cdma-and-wcdma/

).

I have accidentally made a voice call from the "Data-only" SIM card in the 3G WCDMA slot, so I know that my 3G WCDMA SIM card can also make calls (I had to pay 20 cents!!! for answering a telemarketer's pitch - which was just a terse, less than 5 seconds reply of "I'm not interested" - because my "Data-only plan" did not include free voice minutes nor free SMS messages).

However, I can only vouch for the official Singapore version of the Redmi Note. I suggest you query the official Xiaomi India sites (particularly their Facebook site) to allay any doubts or misgivings.

For your info, Xiaomi Singapore has already dropped the Redmi Note (DUAL SIM) model, replacing it with the Redmi Note 4G - which is not a dual SIM phone. I am quite surprised that they were not offering both "DUAL SIM" and "4G" versions of the Redmi Note (the "DUAL SIM" version of the phone was only on sale for 4 months). In Singapore, you can use your current 3G (WCDMA) SIM cards in a 4G (ie. LTE) phone.

Isabella Belle said...

Hello NJ,

Thanks, I found your blog very informative. I'm on the verge of purchasing XiaoMi Note 4G in the coming sale from Mi Malaysia.

Your comment regarding the micro USB port has caught my attention. I have been very cautious on the universality of the phone connector and charging port due to my past experience with Samsung Galaxy Tab. The original charging cable is unfortunately not durable (first time in my life, I have never break any other cable before). Worse, Samsung Galaxy Tabs require their "special" 30-pin adapter unlike other universal make. Therefore, the idea of how to protect so as not to break the cable came into place to avoid the hassle of finding and buying a new cable again, which is a pain.

Now I've decided to give XiaoMi Note 4G a try. Do you have any information on the new product with regard to the port? micro A or B.

I love the flip case and I don't really mind the adhesive bonding, instead, I give the flip case a thumb down as it doesn't cover up all four sides of the phone, rendered the phone prone to scratches on the sides.

Anyway, how does it work so far for you?

Thank you.

NJ Wong said...

Hi Isabella,

Thanks for reading my post. I'm glad you found it interesting.

The new Redmi Note 4G appears to use the same external chassis as the original Redmi Note. Thus, they are using the same Micro USB A + B socket on the new Redmi Note 4G. In fact, I found this photo from Xiaomi (Singapore) web site:


http://global.mifile.cn/webfile/globalimg/sg/2014/goods/minote/06.jpg?width=1200&height=800


You can see that the socket is rectangular instead of trapezoidal (which would be the case for all other Android phones using just the normal Micro USB B connector).

However, once I was aware of this, I always ensured that I hooked up the USB cable carefully, so this didn't really affected me that much.

I share your grievance with the proprietary cable on your Samsung Galaxy Tab, as my old Asus Transformer TF300 tablet also came with a proprietary data/charging cable. When I wanted to buy a spare cable, the shop quoted me $70 for it (Asus original accessory). I am very thankful that the industry have standardised on using cheap micro-USB cables for most Android devices.

As I mentioned in my post, I have never used the Xiaomi original flip case because I detest the use of glue. I was using the soft case until some 3 weeks ago, when I discovered a great flip case for the Redmi Note (which will also fit the Redmi Note 4G since the chassis is the same) selling for just S$10 at the recent IT show.

The brand is called Goospery (Mercury), and the build is very good. I bought 2 cases - one with a tiny plastic window that allows me to see the top of the screen - and another without. At S$10 each - this was a steal - and is even cheaper than the lousy Xiaomi flip case. You can see photos of the case from this online store:


http://www.lelong.com.my/xiaomi-hongmi-xiaomi-mi3-mi4-redmi-note-mercury-standable-flip-case-ckystore-I1733714-2007-01-Sale-I.htm


I also found a YouTube video (the video is for the smaller Redmi, but the design is similar to that for the larger Redmi Note):


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvqnFOAO0g8


Hope you have good luck in getting the phone. It took me 5 tries before I managed to finally buy my Redmi Note. Xiaomi's weekly flash sales are so popular the stocks are always sold out in minutes. But it's worth it. Despite my minor criticisms, this phone is really good value for money.

NJ

Ahmad said...

Hi I'm having the same problem with the USB port on my Redmi Note. Is there any particular cable you could recommend to solve this issue?

NJ Wong said...

Hi Ahmad,

I did not use any special USB cable. I just ensure that I insert the USB connector very carefully, and to always make sure the battery level icon in the notification bar changes to a charging icon. This double-check has been ingrained as a habit, so I don't make the mistake of "not charging the phone because of a loose USB cable connection" any more.

Thanks for reading my post.
NJ

Kabir said...





Nice and Very Informative Post it is… I Like this Post…. Thanks for Sharing this Post with us….


Buy Xiaomi Mobile Covers and Cases

Shweta said...

Hi
Great post.
You can buy unique and stylish mobile back covers for Redmi note mobile devices. Here mobile cases for different mobile devices are available.

Unknown said...


Its REALLY Good
LG Q6 Plus Phone Cases